The building that now houses Bridgeforth Middle School, located on the northern border of Pulaski's city limits, was completed in 1958 and became the new home of the African American high school in Giles County. It replaced the original high school building, which is still located next to the campus. Named for one of Giles County's first black educators, J. T. Bridgeforth, the school housed grades 9-12 from 1958-1965, with Mr. J. P. Lewis serving as principal.
In 1965, after integration of the county schools, Bridgeforth High School became Pulaski Junior High School, enrolling grades seven through nine. Charles Brewer was named principal.
In 1978, Pulaski Junior High became Bridgeforth Middle School, regaining its original Bridgeforth name. Grades five through eight were enrolled. After this change, the school gained an assistant principal, Miss Ethel Holt. She served in that position until she retired in 1984.
In 1976, the original building was almost doubled in size to eliminate over-crowding in school. Again in 1990, the building had a face-lift with the library being doubled in size, classrooms modified for the special education program, and physical education facilities remodeled.
In 1991, Bridgeforth Middle School was granted accreditation by SACS, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
In the spring of 1991, Charles Brewer retired after 25 years as principal of Pulaski Junior High and Bridgeforth Middle School. That fall the school opened with a new principal, J. B. Smith, III, overseeing a school comprised of the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades. The 5th grade was moved to Southside Elementary School.
During 2000 - 2001 another building program was completed. A large, modern band room was added at the north end of the building along with two new classrooms added at the south end. The lunchroom was enlarged; classrooms on the 6th-grade hall which formerly contained two classes were divided in order for each classroom to become self-contained.
In July of 2004, Cathie White was named Assistant Principal. This was Bridgeforth's first Assistant Principal since Miss Holt's retirement in 1984. In the fall of 2014, Mr. Smith left Bridgeforth to serve as the interim Director of Schools for Giles County and Mrs. White was appointed principal. Mr. Smith later retired the next year.
In 2016, Mark Cardin was named Assistant Principal.
In 2021, Mrs. White retired and Mrs. Lori Herd was appointed principal.